Andrzej Piotrkowczyk (Italian: Andrzej Byczek) (d. 1620), a printer, bookkeeper, publisher, and advocate of counter-reform. Born in Piotrków (Wielkopolska). He was a wandering bookkeeper. In 1574 he came to Cracow, where he was granted town rights and took his name from the town of Piotrków.
Printing house poland beginnings of printering
In 1576, in the house Under the Squirrel at Floriańska Street, he opened his own printing house and font foundry. His prints were composed of wooden woodcut blocks from the printing works of Haller, Ungler, Szarfenbergs, Lazarus and Maciej Wirzbiata. In 1609, he received the title of typographer and royal serviceman from Sigismund III Vasa, together with the privilege to print the Sejm’s constitutions.
The printing works published numerous devotional prints, hagiographies, synod documentation, treatises and sermons, as well as religious prints, mostly of Jesuits and ecclesiastical authorities, among others the Janina Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage in Poland. The Sermons on the Seven Sacraments and on the Life of Saints Piotr Skarga, Biblie and the New Testament by Jakub Wujek, or the Knights’ Circle, in which various animals lead their conversations (1576) and the Nest of Virtue, have been published several times,
Printing house poland printers in the country
From where the coat of arms of the Polish Knights began (1578) by Bartosz Paprocki with 3500 woodcuts, Hippic, i.e. about the horses of the book by Krzysztof Monwid Dorohostajski with illustrations by Tomasz Makowski, Roxolan Sebestian Klonowicki and the works of Jan Brożek. Books from Piotrkowczyk’s outhouse were distinguished by their linguistic correctness, and the spelling rules were once established and reproduced in all subsequent prints.
Recent years of the outhouse’s operation
In 1620 the printing house was transferred to the son of Andrzej Piotrkowczyk (younger), who ran it together with his son-in-law Tomasz Dolabella, a royal painter. He was a doctor of law and a councillor in Kraków. After taking over the company, he was granted the right by King Władysław IV to print collective editions of the Sejm’s Constitutions and synodal statutes for the printing house. Moreover, it published more magnificent prints rich in woodcuts and illustrations; as one of the last ones in the 17th century, it used woodcuts.